Thursday, June 19, 2008

some unexpected introspection

I just finished reading an article in HOW magazine (a graphic design industry magazine) about designers who "give back" to the community.

Good design is design that does good. It helps. It inspires. It moves. Good design addresses itself to the real needs of society and culture. It breaks through. It sustains and it is sustainable....the urge to do good work that also does good seems embedded in the ethos of our profession.

The current state of our government, our environment and our world might suggest that these needs are more urgent than ever, while the current state of our economy might seem to make giving a little more difficult. But problems don't need to be huge to warrant solving, nor must they be distant to be worthy.


The article goes on to give examples of different designers who have longed to design for worthy causes and made it happen. I was struck to suddenly realize that I'm living "the dream!"

Yeah, I'm fresh out of college with a steep learning curve that I'm scrambling up. Yeah, it's hard sometimes, and there isn't a cushy salary to make up for it...

BUT.
"Our God is a God who saves;
from the Sovereign LORD comes escape from death."
-Ps. 68:20 NIV


I have the best Boss ever... God Himself. And I'm so happy that he has saved me and called me to serve Him. How cool that I can use graphic design for Missions! Design is all about problem-solving and communication: connecting people with ideas. I pray that God will use my work to open people's minds to the needs of the world. To get involved!

"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."
2 Cor 9:8 TNIV


It blows me away to look back and see how God has always provided for Edgar and I. Looking forward is scary sometimes. As the article said..."the current economy might seem to make giving a little more difficult." But you know what? People ARE giving. That's the only reason Edgar and I can give through what we do. And these people aren't giving to US, they're giving to GOD. And God provides for us.

Yay! Somebody say Amen!

"The notion of designers as problem-seekers rather than solvers is consistent with our profession. As design has moved away from being concerned principally with form-making toward a greater involvement with the "big idea," the tenets of design practice have shifted as well.
It's no longer enough to be concerned simply with our ability; the fact that we're able requires us to be responsible. That is, because it's within our grasp to solve complex problems, it becomes necessary that we apply ourselves toward solving them."

No comments: