Thursday, December 21, 2006

Ode to Tyrone




December 14th brought the FIRST ANNUAL TYRONE CHRISTMAS PARADE! And Edgar and I almost missed it! Roger, a friend, came pounding on our door to get us! He had gathered a little group. Heidi and Jill (Omers) and Teresa (a neighbor of OM), Roger, Edgar, and I all had a great time.

Personally, I LOVE cheesy small town parades! We've made it a tradition to always go to the Christmas parade in Blowing Rock, NC. Now our very own town has its own parade just around the corner. Nothing to laugh at... I'll let you know that Miss Georgia herself was in the parade... along with a hord of other beauty queens. (I also happen to be a fan of cheesy beauty queens!)

Tyrone is a tiny little town. Blink once, and you miss it. Some people at OM don't like living in the middle of nowhere in a tiny little town. They would rather live IN Atlanta with all the fun concerts, shopping, restaurants, etc. I lived in Atlanta for a year in a studio apartment on the eight floor... I had fun... but I must say. I like living in tiny Tyrone!

I love our tiny post office that's the size of a postage stamp. I like walking in and chatting with George behind the counter who always likes stamping our packages to the Netherlands ("they have so many vowels!") The "line" for the post office only holds approximately four people before the line has to stretch out the door. Astonishingly, the line only gets that long one week out of the year... right before Christmas! And then it just becomes one big party as all the neighbors hang out and discuss various packaging techniques, etc.

So, the parade was fun! They had a fake snow machine and even the local weather man! We accidently wandered into the VIP section. But no one seemed to notice...

No comments: