Yes, it is after midnight on a Friday, and yes, I have been working all day and all night. When Edgar's not here my work-a-holic tendencies kind of take over.
Edgar and I have been going through a course called "Financial Peace University." It's been REALLY great. This monday is the last class. The course, and a few financial issues have inspired me to be proactive with my skills. I have started freelancing again... well, more like a few jobs just fell in my lap. And I decided that I need to be more proactively creative. (If that makes sense? It is kind of late for me to be communicating linguistically.)
These decisions led me to Etsy. What's Etsy you ask? Just click the link to the right (to my store) and look around. It's amazing. An international link of artists, clothing, jewelry, crafts. EVERYTHING is either hand made or vintage. Definitely a TON of great Christmas gift potential. (hint hint :)
I have piles of artworks that I have created over the years (mostly in school) that I had no idea what to do with. I've been lugging them around through many moves and I decided it was time to get rid of them and try to make some money in the process!
A few days ago I dragged them all out and sorted through them... many went straight into the trash! Then I took my favorites and laid them out on the floor. What I saw really surprised me! There was a definite theme stringing them together that I never would have expected. Finding your "look" as an artist is always a long and confusing process. I have a hard enough time even admitting to BE an artist. I had many ideas of what my look and style SHOULD be. But I had no idea if I even had a style. Looking at all the work spread out again, I could see where my strengths lie and DEFINITELY where my weaknesses are.
*this really encouraged me to follow the strengths for now*
So the Etsy shop is really just a motivation for me. It's not about making money, it's about having a destination for my expressions. It's not very motivating to create something and then stick it in a box.
oh, and yeah, there are only 2 paintings up for now... but more to come!
1 comment:
yay for etsy!
Post a Comment