Monday, March 29, 2010

accidentally meeting a favorite artist

Saturday brought us a fresh breath of spring. It's been a long cold winter... at least for Georgian/Floridian standards. We celebrated by visiting Serenbe, a newish "green" work/live community not far away from Newnan. I was surprised at how many art galleries and cute shops there were, nestled in among uniquely designed homes. Green spaces divide the different areas of the community. They grow produce and raise cattle as well. Basically an upscale mini-utopia.

me..jane was one of the first stores we went to. Inside we met Jane and I instantly began admiring the art on the walls. I chatted with her, she gave me a few tips, and we moved on. Later I was sitting down to lunch in a café when I noticed another painting that I recognized to be one of Jane's. Then it hit me. Jane Whitehurst. I've seen (and loved) her stuff before... at the Dogwood gallery in Tyrone. About a year ago I had sat down with Greg, the owner, for a big chunk of time one Friday afternoon, pouring over a collection of pieces she'd created on old signs. She and her husband had owned a sign shop in California. I remember Greg telling me that she was local and wishing for the chance to meet her. And I just had!!

I went back to her shop to tell her, "hey, I'm actually already a fan!" It was fun to talk to her. me..jane is about to become a wine shop as well, with a little garden seating area. So I'm definitely going back!! I think I just found the ultimate inspiration venue. So, anyone want to join me?

No comments: